Baptism for Infants
Welcome to our Parish community!
We are happy to support your family during this special time of preparation for the Baptism of your child and/or your preparation to become a godparent.
Sacraments are visible signs of God’s love; through them and by the actions of the Holy Spirit, Jesus fills us with his grace, heals and strengthens us.
Through Baptism your child will become a member of the Mystical Body of Christ, the Church; original sin will be erased and he/she will become an adoptive son/daughter of God. He/she will share in Jesus’ offices of Priest, Prophet and King receiving spiritual gifts to serve the community.
Baptism is the beginning of a faith journey and we congratulate you for choosing this beautiful gift for your child/godchild.
Who can be baptized as an infant?
Infant baptism is for children younger than 7 years old. Parents and Godparents commit to raise him/her in the faith, then, parents and godparents attend class to prepare for this commitment.
Children older than 7 years of age receive Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation through the RCIA program. Please visit Baptism for Children 7 and Older for more information.
How do I register to baptize my child at St. Matthew?
Parents, please gather the following:
- Fill up a Registration Form per child REGISTRATION FORM
- Attach copy of Birth Certificate (not the original) per child
- Ask Godparents to fill up GODPARENT(S) ELIGIBILITY DECLARATION per child, and attach. (If Godparents are coming from outside St. Matthew, please read below).
- Attach copy of Godparents Catholic Wedding Certificate if married.
- Make an online payment fee $45 per child.
- Make an appointment with Irma to receive your paperwork and answer any questions you may have. Registration before class is required.
- Watch the first three sessions of Reborn on Formed.org before coming to class. (St. Matthew's access code is WTPGPJ).
Because of the large number of Baptisms taking place, especially during the summer months,
ALL PAPERWORK NEEDS TO BE COMPLETED AT LEAST THREE WEEKS BEFORE COMING TO CLASS.
I want to baptize my child at a different Catholic parish...
Please contact the other Parish and find out what their requirements are, as they may be slightly different from ours. Most probably, you will be asked to attend Baptismal preparation class and send information regarding the infant.
At our Baptismal class we will issue you a Letter of Authorization, which you will send to the other parish along with any other documents (copy of Birth Certificate, etc.)
Godparents are an integral part of the Sacrament of Baptism. The Church places great value on their role; as such, please select people who will be Catholic role models for your child.
Godparents are called to perform an officium (CCC 1255) in the Church, where they will walk with your child throughout his/her life, pray for and encourage them, and give advice when needed. Ideally, godparents will be present at their godchild's First Communion, Confirmation and Marriage.
Here are guidelines for selecting godparents as defined by the Church:
- Only one godparent (man or woman) is needed;
- If there are two godparents, they must be a man and a woman.
- No more than two godparents are allowed.
- Minimum of 16 years old;
- Fully initiated Catholic (has received Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation);
- Is a practicing Catholic (attends Mass regularly and on Sundays, receives the Sacraments of Communion and Reconciliation regularly);
- Lives his/her life according to the teachings of the Catholic Church (single Catholic, or married in the Catholic Church – civil marriage only does not qualify); couples who are cohabitating cannot be godparents); and
- Godparents must take a Baptism Preparation class
- When coming from outside St. Matthew, Godparents may be prepared at their home parish and sent you verification of that preparation. Usually a Letter, not older than 2 years.
- Godparents need to fill out GODPARENT(S) ELIGIBILITY DECLARATION if such Declaration is not part of the Letter from their parish.
- Attach copy of Godparents Catholic wedding certificate if married.
- It is the Parents responsibility to make sure that Godparents fulfill all requisites.
- Parents baptizing at St. Matthew are responsible for gathering all paperwork, especially documents coming from out of State.
I am a parishioner at St. Matthew invited to be a Godparent at a different parish...
What and honor and a privilege! Thanks for saying YES!
Most probably you are being asked to take a Baptism Preparation class and to present a document that verifies that, along with your Eligibility to be Godparent. In other words, at the other Parish they don’t know you, and they will rely on St. Matthew to verify that you are a practicing Catholic and qualify to be a Godparent.
Godparents, please gather the following:
- Fill out a Godparent Information Form.
- Fill out a GODPARENT(S) ELIGIBILITY DECLARATION.
- Attach copy of Godparents Catholic Wedding Certificate if married.
- Make an online payment fee of $45.
- Register for class at least three weeks before by contacting Irma.
- Watch the first three sessions and the section on Godparents of Reborn on Formed.org before coming to class. (St. Matthew's access code is WTPGPJ).
In class, you will receive a Godparent Letter of Authorization, which you will then send to the Parents/Parish where the Baptism will take place.
When is the Pre Baptismal class and when are Baptisms celebrated in English?
The dates for the Baptismal Class in 2019 are the following Wednesdays at 7 p.m. in the Parish Hall:
January 16, February 27, (no classes during Lent - March and April), May 15 and June 12
Celebration of Baptisms in English are the second Saturday of the month (with the exception of Lent) at 11 a.m. in the Church. Baptisms for 2019 are scheduled these Saturdays:
January 12, February 9, (no baptisms in March and April), May 11 and June 8
Calendar for Pre-Baptismal classes and Celebration of Baptism in Spanish for 2019. Calendario para clases pre-bautismales y celebracion de Bautizos en 2019.
The dates for Pre-baptismal classes in Spanish for 2019 are:
Clases Pre-bautismales en español en 2019: Enero 21 y 28, Febrero 18 y 25, no hay clases durante la Cuaresma, en Marzo y Abril, Mayo 6 y 13.
Celebration of Baptisms in Spanish are always the first Saturday of each month at 11 a.m. (with the exception of Lent.) For 2019 the celebration of Baptisms is as follows:
La celebración de los bautizos en español es siempre el primer sábado de cada mes; en 2019 el primer sábado de cada mes es el siguiente: Enero 5, Febrero 2, Marzo 2, no hay bautizos en abril, Mayo 4 y Junio 1.
For more information please contact Adult Faith Coordinator Irma Vasquez at (503) 648-1998 Ext. 246 or email at IVasquez@stmatthewhillsboro.org.
“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you” (Matthew 28:19-20)