At St. Matthew Catholic Church, preparation for Adult Confirmation takes place in the context of the RCIA journey. Confirmandi will form community and support the new Christians as they progress towards full reception.
What is Confirmation?
Baptism, the Eucharist, and the sacrament of Confirmation are the “sacraments of Christian initiation.” In his preaching and teaching, Jesus Christ promised his disciples the gift of the Spirit. The Holy Spirit promises to help us and guide us so that we can be wise, understanding, courageous, and knowledgeable like the Apostles.
Who is this course designed for?
We welcome adults ages 18 and older that have been Baptized, received Reconciliation and First Communion. If you live with a boyfriend/fiancé and are not married in the Catholic Church, please contact the Adult Faith Formation Coordinator for additional information.
When and where is the Confirmation class? The Confirmation class is offered under the title of RCIA and takes place every Tuesday from 7 to 9 p.m. In 2017, classes begin on August 29.
How do I register for Confirmation classes?
- Please fill out the registration form and bring a copy of your Baptism and First Communion certificates.
- Support St. Matthew with a $45 registration fee.
- Bring a Bible to class. The Bible must be your own so that you can mark it. Please get the New American Bible Revised Edition, to coincide with Mass readings.
- Identify a qualified sponsor among your friends and relatives, or be open to know new people, as we help you find a sponsor.
What are the requirements of the Confirmation program? That you exercise courage by living a Catholic lifestyle: pray daily and pray often; participate in Reconciliation and Mass often, especially on Sundays. Get involved! Come to class and find a group of friends in the Parish. We will encourage you to become an active member by volunteering in an activity close to your heart: helping the homeless, visiting the sick or elderly, etc. Lastly, all RCIA adults will attend a Saturday retreat at a place and date to be announced; usually during Lent.
When is the Confirmation Mass celebrated? Archbishop Alexander Sample celebrates the adult confirmation Mass in April or May at St. Mary’s Cathedral in Portland, Oregon. The date is announced in January.
Who can be a sponsor/godparent for Confirmation?
- You need one godparent (male or female) that is an active, practicing and fully initiated member of the Roman Catholic Church. This means that he/she needs to have received the sacraments of Initiation.
- If the godparent is living with a spouse, the marriage must have been blessed by the Church.
- Godparents are invited to attend as many classes as possible, but a minimum will be required.
- Godparents cannot be one’s parents.
- If you are having trouble finding a godparent/sponsor, please tell the Adult Faith Formation Coordinator as soon as possible. A sponsor meeting will be held in September/October.